Can you imagine the haphazard results you would get if you tried to cook from memory?
Businesses also need good processes, or recipes, for all the same reasons. A process is just that, a standard “recipe” that enables things to be done in the same way every time. Standardising as much as possible means:
- The task can be reliably estimated for time and resource
- The results will be the same (or very similar) each time
- Work will get done faster once the process is established
- Mistakes (big and small) are less likely
- You can make changes, and measure the impact
- Customer confidence will increase as they come to trust your consistent quality
Creating good processes and checklists isn’t rocket science, but it seems rocket scientists wouldn’t go moon-walking without one.