So here’s my top ten list to beat stress and get something useful done.
- Go for a walk. After the first ten minutes my head starts to clear, ideas come to me and I’m less stressed. I sometimes take a notepad with me to jot ideas down so I don’t forget them.
- Have a cup of tea. This always works. In fact I often have a cup of tea even if I’m not stressed.
- Make a plan. This really should be at the top of the list. I find that NOT having a plan is the cause of the stress and once I’ve got something down on paper, even if it’s a simple To Do list, it starts to become easier.
- Do the first thing on the plan. Ha! Suddenly you are ahead of the game and stress starts to disappear.
- Tidy up.
- Call a friend – a problem shared is a problem halved.
- Eat toast – it’s not the greatest nutrient in the world, but it has very soothing qualities
- Do a small job – it’s better than going round in circles doing nothing
- Do a difficult job – you feel massively better once you’ve made a start. Suddenly the whole world seems brighter.
- Have a bath. It calms me. My head fills with ideas because I’m calm. Then I jump out of the bath to get going on one of them. Difficult in the office though …
What's your best tip to beat stress and get productive again?